The History of the Green Monster

the green monster

It stands a bit over 37 feet. It is 231 feet long.

It stretches from left field all the way to the triangle in center.

It is the Green Monster.

A fixture at Fenway Park for decades, the one of a kind wall helps distinguish Fenway as the most unique stadium in the Majors.

The Wall was part of the park when it was originally built in 1912. At first it was constructed to keep spectators who did not pay for admission an opportunity to see the game at no charge.

The original wall was made of wood and burnt down with much of the park in the 1934. It was rebuilt and made of tin upon it’s reconstruction. The current wall we know and love today was built of a hard plastic and was assembled in 1976.

green monster

Up until 1947, advertisements draped the wall. That year the wall was painted green and hence the name the Green Monster  would become synonymous with Fenway Park forever.

There is a manual scoreboard dawning the bottom of the monster.  Originally meant to score the game, it has developed over the years to provide out of town scores, as well as the AL East standings.

A small door gives access to the to the inner sector of the wall where two scoreboard operators perch for the games. They slide in updates during the inning, and in between innings they come out with a ladder to update scores for those that are not accessible from within.

There are a plethora of autographs with the inner bowls of the Monster. Over the years  thousands of players have stepped inside and left their mark. Babe Ruth’s autograph reportedly is somewhere on the walls in there.

A ladder is attached to the wall. The ladder’s use up until 2002 was to fetch balls that got stuck in the net above the wall. However, the net was removed in 2003 but the ladder stayed. It’s another quirky obstacle left fielders must manage. Balls bouncing off of it can come off at any angle.

The net came off in 2003 because of the addition of the famed “Monster Seats.” New Red Sox ownership began a nearly decade long renovation of the facility which began with putting 274 seats above the Monster.

the modern day green monster

Fenway Park would not be Fenway Park without the Monster. Apparent doubles become “Fenway singles”, pop flies that would be outs in other ball parks graze the wall on their way down and become doubles, line drives with clank off of the wall for “wall ball doubles”, and long drives clear the Monster and end up on Landsdowne street.

Long live the Green Monster.

11 comments on “The History of the Green Monster”

1. Jack says:

Anyone have any historical datum on the building of the monster? I am researching and trying to find the name of the contractor who sheathed the wall in metal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jack

1. Jack's Mommy says:

Maybe you should choose another project honey, by the way Santa will here about this blog thing and I will have a conversation with you later about this.

2. You’ve brought up a quite outstanding points , thankyou for the post.

3. cornhole rules says:

This history is really interesting and we can feel what a dramatic change happens!!!

4. Whats Taking place i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It absolutely helpful and it has aided me out loads. I hope to contribute & aid other users like its helped me. Great job.

5. your mom says:

This was helpful but at the same time it was not. who knows how to get a job because I can't seem to find them around town but I do not want to go to the unemployment office because then it will seem like I have no experience and was fired from my old job which I do not have one.

6. Don Martin says:

There no such thing as "most unique," even for sportswriters.

7. Dr. George Singleton says:

datum, a quite outstanding points, whats …
    Pathetic language.

8. johnnabbottjr says:

The height of The Wall had always bothered me!!
    It may have been determined by artillery ranging experts or mathematicians or by some VERY good intuition.So I devised a formula from scratch(not even an army manual available)and derived two more variations on it for proofing it and plugged it in to the specs for The Wall and Right Field and it came up every time at about 36-7″-I knew that damn thing was too high!In my complete ignorance of most things mathematical,I may have stumbled upon something approximating the correct formula or just got lucky or am wildly wrong-I don’t know what I’ve done reallyI’d give you the formula,but I threw the paperwork away 3 years ago!
    You have to imagine an average home run ball which barely clears the right field fence clearly enough to legitimate it,and then put an imaginary wall up at the 310’point in front of it,70’back in right field which it must clear to be a home run at 380′.How high would that wall have to be to equate the two distances making the same hypothetical ball a home run for both distances,making them equally legitimate at both distances!?!
    You have to figure out at what elevation,minimally,the ball would have to be at in order to clear the fence in right field at 380′ at a height of maybe 2’above the handrail(maybe 10′?) to assure some clarity of the call,to establish equality between the distances/heights from Left and Right field from Home Plate ON AVERAGE!This requires some sophisticated averaging which could be done very quickly on a super computer at MIT and would certify the scientific legitimacy of The Wall’s Fair Height!
    Arriving at the “magic” average height is the key to its fairness,because a line drive will clear Right Field at a much lower height than a power ball with great height.A computer could sample 50,000 or 5 million slices/increments in a second for us,but unless somebody tries we’ll never know what the hypothetically correct height should be.
    My subjective intuition combined with my arm-chair physics and 50 years of observation tells me that the old guys came extremely close for 1934’s calculations to within a foot to 18 inches of what it should be.I think it should be about 18″ lower to allow for powerful line drives which are now penalized at the As Built height. The computer would give us a cold hard median number which could serve as the gold standard.That number could be very close to the Wall’s current height or correct it significantly.My opinion is at 35-6″ which could be built in as an adjustment with a hard plastic stripe enhanced with signalling micro-phonics(!?!)
    If the magic number is slightly above the handrail that could easily accommodated too without much expense.
    It might bring some well deserved legitimacy to the Wall’s notoriety and some prize money for some college kids in the neighborhood.
    It could be a lot of fun and that’s what it’s all about!