He is a hard nut to crack. He’ll say one thing with conviction, and then do the exact opposite, because Danny Ainge. He is the most interesting GM in the world. He’s built up draft picks and assets, capped off with the recent trades of Rajon Rondo & Jeff Green. The man will never tip his hand, but we can speculate his long-term plan. First, let’s review all of the celtics draft picks:
- Celtics first-round pick, 2015
- Celtics second-round pick 2015
- 76ers first-round pick (2015 or ‘16) Top-14 protected pick. If the first-round pick isn’t conveyed then it turns into second-round picks in 2015 and 2016.
- Clippers first-round pick, 2015 Unprotected
- Mavericks first-round pick (2015, ‘16, ‘17, ‘18, ‘19 or ‘20) Protected for picks 1-3, 15-30 in 2015. Protection changes to picks 1-7 in 2016-2020.
- Timberwolves first-round pick (2015, ‘16 or ‘17 & ’18) Top-12 protected pick in both 2015 and 2016, and if it isn’t conveyed by then it becomes second-round picks in both 2016 and 2017.
- Celtics first-round pick (2016)
- Celtics second-round pick (2016)
- Nets first-round pick, unprotected (2016)
- Cavaliers first-round pick, protected (2016) This pick is top-10 protected
- Celtics first-round pick, 2017
- Celtics second-round pick 2017
- Nets first-round pick (2017) Celtics can swap picks with the Nets, if the Nets’ pick ends up being higher in the draft than Boston’s. The Celtics would give up an additional second-round pick if they choose to make this swap.
- Celtics first-round pick, 2018
- Celtics second-round pick 2018
- Nets first-round pick, Unprotected (2018)
Hard to be mad when you have those assets. The question remains, what will Danny do with these picks?
When asked about why he acquired so many draft picks, he replied, “picks are always tradable, players are not”, which gives us a feel for what he may do. I have to say, I like where his head is at. It’s fastest way to the top. If Ainge made a trade at the right time to bring in an all-star or two, with Sullinger, Bradley and/or Smart, we are back in business. However, I don’t always trust Danny’s judgement when it comes to player evaluations, which leaves me with an unsettling feeling. If he screws this up, then all we have done here is just waste precious time. So, in summation – big risk, big reward with this rebuild.
Let’s pray it pays big.
Side note: Great win tonight. Hard to believe we’re still in Playoff Contention. Lol @ the Eastern Conference..